Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Are you unhappy with some aspect of your smile? A cosmetic dentistry service or treatment offered by your Palatine, IL, dentist, Dr. Herman Salzberg, can help you improve or correct your dental issue.
Are your teeth dull? Teeth whitening can brighten your smile!
Anything white, whether it's a tee-shirt or your teeth, tends to look a little duller over time. Although aging and tobacco use are common causes, dullness can also be caused by eating and drinking foods and beverages that contain dark pigments. Coffee, tea, red wine, dark-colored soft drinks, berries, ice pops, and candy are common culprits.
Teeth whitening bleaches away stains, leaving your teeth up to eight shades whiter. Whitening only requires a single, one-hour visit to the Palatine, IL, dental office.
Do you need to hide flaws or repair damage?
Depending on your problem, your dentist may recommend one of these options:
- Bonding: Bonding, one of the least expensive cosmetic dentistry services, involves applying flexible, tooth-colored composite resin to the tooth. After the resin is shaped, it's hardened with a curing light. Bonding can improve the shape or length of a tooth, cover discolorations or cracks, and fill in chips and other imperfections.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin shells that are cemented to the fronts of your teeth. Veneers can change the shape or length of teeth and might be a good option if you want to conceal discolorations, chips, cracks, and gaps. Veneers also offer a long-lasting teeth whitening option.
- Crowns: Crowns, commonly called caps, are hollow restorations that fit over teeth after they've been reduced in size. A crown can restore a broken tooth, protect a fragile tooth, or completely change the shape, length, or appearance of your tooth.
Have you stopped smiling because your teeth are crooked?
Invisalign may be the perfect option if you'd like to straighten your smile discreetly. The system uses a series of clear, removable aligner trays that slowly but surely realign your teeth. Invisalign is a good choice for both teenagers and adults with mild to moderate orthodontic issues.
Improve your smile with cosmetic dentistry! Call your dentist in Palatine, IL, Dr. Salzberg, at (847) 359-6766 to schedule your appointment.
Ideally, we would avoid cavities altogether, if our wish was to have a smile without the unsightly traditional fillings. But few things ever go according to plan, that's why pencils have erasers after all. Cosmetic fillings virtually erase the fact that you had a cavity that needed work, and you'll be surprised with the results. If you would like to learn more about these fillings contact Dr. Herman Salzberg in Palatine, IL.
Cavities form on our teeth because of the bacteria that linger on them in the form of plaque and tartar. They expel acids that damage our protective enamel as they feast on the sugars we consume.
Plaque is the sticky film that clings to teeth every day, it's why dentists recommend daily brushing and flossing to remove as much of it as possible. But however diligent we are there is usually some plaque left over, and this is even more likely if we suffer from spacing problems in our smile. Plaque can also harden into tartar thanks to the minerals in our saliva, making it much more difficult to remove.
Thus, brushing and flossing are great first steps in preventing cavities, but regular checkups and cleanings are just as important. So that even if we do develop a cavity, it can be caught in time and filled before it becomes a much bigger problem.
Types of Fillings
Amalgam fillings have been and will continue to be an excellent option for anyone in need of a filling. Though silver in color they are actually made of an alloy made up of mercury, tin, copper, and of course silver. The metals mixed with mercury make it safe and stable.
Though amalgam is a very durable, and cost-effective, material for a filling, they have as a downside their very visible silver appearance.
Cosmetic fillings, on the other hand, are tooth-colored and not easily noticeable, even under close inspection. These are made of a composite resin which is a mixture of plastic and glass. It's the same material your dentist may use to repair teeth that have been chipped or are worn down.
These filings are strong, and with modern materials, they will last almost as long as their amalgam counterparts.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Palatine, IL
You want a healthy smile that looks the part, so whether it's treatment, or even just prevention, don't forget to visit your dentist. Make an appointment today with Dr. Salzberg in Palatine, IL, by dialing 847-359-6766.
Dr. Herman Salzberg, our dentist here at Herman Salzberg, DMD in Palatine, IL, commonly utilizes dental implants as a tooth replacement solution. If you’re considering getting implants, you probably have a lot of questions, so we’ve put together a list of dental implant FAQs for you.
What Exactly is a Dental Implant?
This tooth replacement treatment replaces a missing tooth with an implant made out of a titanium post. In turn, this will bond with your jawbone to build a strong foundation for the dental crown that will be placed on top and serve as the visible tooth. An abutment atop the dental implant will connect the dental crown to the implant, restoring your smile and oral functions.
Multiple implants could be implanted for replacing multiple missing teeth. Additionally, a dental implant could be utilized for securing dental bridges and removable or fixed dentures.
Why Should I Choose Dental Implants Over Other Tooth Replacement Solutions?
Because implants perform and look like real teeth, they’re the only tooth replacement solution that can prevent jawbone loss and even promote further bone development. You can smile, eat, laugh, and speak confidently, knowing that your teeth won’t budge. Doing your oral care habits is also easier because you won’t have to remove, clean, and then put anything back.
Does Dental Implant Surgery Hurt?
Not at all. Your dentist in Palatine, IL, will use anesthesia throughout the dental implant surgery to make sure that you don’t feel a thing. However, as with most dental surgeries, you will experience some pain after the surgery, which you can relieve by taking OTC pain medications and ice.
How Long Will The Entire Dental Implant Treatment Take?
The entire treatment will take a couple of months. For people who have enough jawbone and excellent oral health, the dentist may consider placing the implant after the tooth extraction. You’ll then have to wait for a couple of months for the implantation site to properly heal so that the dental crown can be installed without issues.
On the other hand, patients who have tooth infections or other dental issues, or those that need bone grafting, would have to address these problems first before starting dental implantation surgery.
How Long Will a Dental Implant Last?
At least 20 years, or even a lifetime, when cared for and maintained properly. As for the crown on top, you can expect it to last for 15 or more years.
Contact Us For More Information or Questions on Dental Implants
Schedule a meeting here at Herman Salzberg, DMD in Palatine, IL, with Dr. Herman Salzberg by dialing 847-359-6766.
Having a white smile is perceived as a sign of health, and it's something people strive for. Dr. Herman Salzberg of Palatine, IL, provides many services, including cosmetic dentistry, to improve the appearance of your smile. Palatine Cosmetic Dentistry is the way to go if you're ever feeling self-conscious about your teeth.
What are some Palatine cosmetic dentistry tips that can keep teeth white?
- Bonding: This cosmetic procedure utilizes tooth-colored composite resin material to close gaps and whiten teeth. The material is applied to dental surfaces to also fix teeth that are chipped, broken, cracked, stained, or have spaces between them.
- Veneers: Veneers are ultra-thin dental appliances that dentists adhere to the surface of stained, worn, chipped, or cracked teeth to change the color or shape of teeth. Palatine cosmetic dentistry provides veneers because they can also hide minor gaps, uneven spacing, crooked, or oddly shaped teeth. Note that a thin layer of enamel is removed so veneers fit comfortably, without protrusion. This process is irreversible, so make sure you speak with your dentist before deciding to get veneers.
- Contouring and reshaping: This procedure, also called odontoplasty, straightens crooked teeth and fixes chipped, cracked, or overlapping teeth. This cosmetic procedure is also called enameloplasty because it removes small amounts of tooth enamel when altering the appearance of a tooth's shape, length, or surface.
- Whitening and bleaching: This cosmetic procedure whitens teeth by bleaching them. This is done at the Palatine cosmetic dentistry office because the materials used are handled by experts. Your Palatine dentist uses a retractor to keep lips and other soft tissue off tooth surfaces during the procedure, which lasts about one hour. The bleaching material is applied and then you're done. There are other products you can use at home, as some kinds of toothpaste, but those contain abrasive materials that may harm your teeth by breaking down enamel (protective layer of teeth).
How do you maintain whiter teeth?
- Avoid eating too much of staining foods, like blueberries
- Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco
- Brush and floss regularly
Whom should I consult?
If you're interested in any of the cosmetic dentistry procedures mentioned above, then don't hesitate to contact Dr. Herman Salzberg at 847-359-6766 today!
Cosmetic dentistry from your dentist in Palatine, IL, can give you a beautiful smile
Did you know you can change the size, shape, or color of your teeth with just one cosmetic dentistry procedure? It’s true! Dental veneers are the answer to a brand new, beautiful smile. In fact, veneers are one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures because they can dramatically improve your look in a
Here at the office of Dr. Herman Salzberg in Palatine, IL, we offer a wide selection of cosmetic dentistry procedures including dental veneers. Read on to learn more.
What Veneers Can Do For You
Veneers are thin laminates of sparkling porcelain that are cemented on to the front surfaces of your teeth. They are a conservative procedure because your dentist removes little-to-no tooth structure during the treatment—just enough to compensate for the thickness of the veneers.
Porcelain veneers are so versatile that they can cover up unsightly issues, such as:
- Cracks and fracture lines from wear-and-tear
- Broken tooth structure from trauma or an injury
- Chips, erosion, and tooth wear from everyday habits or aging
- Blotches, discolorations, or stains from genetics, medications, or lifestyle habits
You can even minimize the appearance of gaps between your teeth, overlapping teeth, or crowded teeth. Porcelain veneers can completely remake your smile in as little as two-to-three appointments. When you choose porcelain veneers, you can count on:
- Natural-looking beauty, because porcelain is a light-reflective material that closely resembles the look of natural tooth enamel.
- Long-lasting beauty, because porcelain is stain-resistant, so your new veneers will stay beautiful for years to come.
To view amazing before-and-after photos of Dr. Salzberg’s patients, please visit the Smile Gallery page on his website at https://www.palatinedental.com/gallery.html
Interested? Give Us a Call
Porcelain veneers can improve your look and your life! To learn more about what porcelain veneers can do for you and your smile, call Dr. Herman Salzberg in Palatine, IL, at (847) 359-6766. Get started on your new smile by calling today!